Saturday, September 28, 2013

My hubby "The Coach"

I have to admit, this homeschool stuff is a little trial and error sometimes. I decided to back track a little with Taylor in math, this year. He was using Abeka, which many know, is known for being a little more advanced. Taylor did well, with it, he seemed to grasp the concepts quickly, but he wouldn't remember them. It started causing a lot of frustration for me and him. So this year I really wanted to take things slow, and really master the skills then rushing through, just to stay on track. So far, it is going really good. So good, that I'm thinking, this is too easy, and maybe this wasn't the best decision. I had been pondering this in my head, wondering if this was the right move or not. So, later this evening, after Nolan's baseball practice the hubby and I were talking. He comments, "I think the other coaches are finally starting to see what I'm talking about." Me, nodding, (as if I was really paying attention with a three year old playing in every dirt pile he can find and a ten year old running all over the ball fields with his new found friend.) He continues talking, "the little boys like to swing at high pitches, if the coach will pitch it at chest-neck level they hit it every time. Apparently, they had a healthy debate with old school grandpa coach, replying "yeah, but they need to learn to hit the low ones too," my hubby continues on, "See, first you gotta pitch it where they like it as they build their confidence in batting and getting hits, they'll will swing at the other stuff. If you always make them swing and they always miss, they are just going to be discouraged and not swing as much".Hmmm, all ears just what I needed to hear. The little light bulb went on in my head, lol. That's what I need to keep doing with Taylor, build his confidence in his math so as it gets harder, he will be less frustrated and more confident to try new concepts. Thanks hubby, or should I say coach! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment