Friday, August 30, 2013

The world around us.

Went to Costco the other day and found these huge laminated maps (2ft x4ft) One of the USA and one of the World. A bargain for 15.00. I've never seen them that cheap. Then as were checking out the lady in front of us is eyeballing them, we start talking. Us homeschoolers can spot each other out from a distance. We are always the ones teaching everywhere we go. Yes, even the grocery store! Our reccent lessons are learning the value of a dollar. I have my oldest mostly looking at prices and totaling the cart. My middle son is responsible for the grocery list. Of, course the highlight is always when they guess the total at the register and caculate the change. Oh..and of course that moment when the cashier looks at your child puzzled, like "how'd you figure that out?" And of course my favorite response....a big grin followed with a "Yes, we homeschool."Lol. It's so cool getting to see other homeschoolers out and about. I believe homeschooling is a growing trend that will only continue. Got our maps put up in the living room, I just said what the hey with the home decor. We are limited in space, and I want a learning enviroment as much as possible for them. So far Timothy has told me everywhere he wants to travel and he is remembering the names of countries.(pretty awesome for a three yr old) Nolan has mapped out where Christopher Columbus sailed and will learn all the states and capitals this year. Taylor is learning world history this year, so they will be super handy for him. Let alone him and my hubby plan on tracking hurricanes. (my little weather men). Taylor has also been curious of alot of current events taking place, like mapping Syria and all the seas we currently have ships in. So fun to use that as a teaching moment to explain about other countries, the way they live their governments and to be greatful for this country we live in and the freedoms we currently have. I have to say, sometimes I under estimate that 5th grader of mine. I'm starting to believe I'am truly not smarter than a fifth grader! Seriously....this is the first year I have had to order teacher keys for all his subjects. This momma just can't wing it anymore.

In the pic: Taylor trying to find different rivers in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment