Sunday, July 21, 2013

Why do I do what I do??

Just this week I went to get my haircut, and of course small talk always leads to questions about the boys then on to homeschooling. You, know that famous question we all get asked, You homeschool? How does that work? Do you actually have books and stuff? Then after answering these questions, you always get the, you must be really patient, or that's hard work, followed by the Oh, I could never do that. Lol. Well, truth is I'm not always patient, I lose my cool sometimes, I am by no means perfect. I am just simply doing what I feel is best for my family just like any other mother. Is it hard work, yes absolutely. I am with my boys 24/7 (exception being work) More than hard work in the schooling aspect of it. I believe it's a tremendous weight we carry as homeschooling mothers. I don't know about you, but I have constant concerns, am I doing the right thing, teaching the right way, what about high school, can I do that too? Can they still go to college? Truth is we have really good public schools here. We live in the "Bible belt" of America, so our little town still holds good morals and values, as of right now at least. (Im not kidding myself by any means) It would be so easy to send my boys to school. Easy isn't always right. So, after the small talk with the hair dresser and being down on myself last year, I'm started thinking, why do I homeschool. Why do I think it's best? So here are my handful of reasons...(not in any specific order)
1. More family time.
2. Teaching them about God in their studies.
3. One on one teaching. (had a struggling reader,huge benefit.)
4. Implementing morals, values, manners, etc...
5. I can teach better than the school system. (Let me clarify, not the teachers, the system. I know my children's strenghts and weaknesses better than anyone else)
6. Probably one of my most important, I want my boys to have a real love for learning.
7. I know exactly what they are learning, choices they are making, struggles they are having...and can better guide them thru lifes obstacles.

I'm sure I could go on and on, but ultimately God laid it on my heart to homeschool, and opened up doors for my husband and I to do his will. My boys are trying at times but I would'nt trade being able to be with them, watch them learn and grow and develop into well rounded little men. What are your reasons for homeschooling? What else can you add to my list?

No comments:

Post a Comment