Monday, July 15, 2013

Curriculum woes...

This is now going to be our fourth year homeschooling, so I'm starting to feel a little more confident venturing out to new curriculum and even creating my own lesson plans. Since we have started we have only ever used Abeka. I love Abeka (especially for beginning readers) but, it is also getting very expensive and tedious. I am still a working mom too, so I sometimes need them to be able to be more independent in their studies while I need sleep and am in my zombie sleep deprived mode from working night shift. Lol. With Abeka, if you get behind even a little it is to hard to catch up and leaves us all frustrated. I am also having to re-evaluate our math. My oldest is great in math but he moves so quickly grasping the concept he doesn't remember later what he's learned and we have to go back in remaster them again. It's time consuming and frustrating. my other child math is not his strong subject so he needs more help in this area. He is also a very hands on learner so the workbooks don't work for him as well as manipulatives do. I am leaning toward Christian Liberty for most of their stuff this year. Keeping Abeka for phonics, language, and extra readers.  I also still need to do Texas history with the both of them as its not in our general curriculum. I did find a website that has many units studies for free I'm going to start with that and go from there, and probably just utilize our library. Any ideas, What did you use to teach your kids your States history?
On another note the plants that we planted are now sprouting so I guess the boys have a better green thumb than I do. Haha. We are just having some summer fun taking it easy, I've been working with the three year old on learning letters and sounds because he is just now starting to show some interest he finally knows how to write his name, super proud of that! Going to try to incorporate more things for him to do this year. This is where it gets tricky because now I'm starting to have to teach 3 instead of 2, and the youngest always need more hands-on learning. Thats the joy of homeschooling though, you have all day to accomplish something and when the days done there's always tomorrow. I've also been trying to plan field trips for this year I have several ideas that I would like to do with them. Super pumped this year. Last year after January we kind of all got in a slump and we're just doing what we needed to do to get by. It happens. I finally found my renergized spirit and I'm ready to go! Leave me a comment, so I know you stopped by.

No comments:

Post a Comment